It's been a long time coming. Welcome to another delicious installment of MmmMondays!
I'm really excited about this post because it's the first "almost-original recipe" that I have shared. I admit to some inspiration from Annabel Karmel's First Meals. But I am pleased as punch with myself for figuring out something that achieves the breakfast trifecta: delicious, nutritious, and a quick-fix!
Bananas Foster Breakfast Sandwiches
1 ripe banana, sliced on the diagonal
1/2 Tbsp. butter or butter substitute (we use Smart Balance)
Maple syrup (pancake syrup doesn't count!)
2 whole- or honey-wheat English muffins
1. Put the 1/2 Tbsp. butter in a small sauté pan and melt over medium heat.
2. Add the banana slices and cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
3. Flip the banana slices with a small spatula. Drizzle maple syrup and sprinkle cinnamon over the top, then cook for another minute more. Remove from heat.
4. While the bananas cool slightly, toast the English muffins and spread with butter, peanut butter, honey... whatever your pleasure!
5. Place one-half of each English muffin on its plate, top each with half the sautéed banana slices, and perch the other pieces of muffin halfway over the bananas (it looks so fancy that way). Enjoy!